lbl-masthead.png

My Baby is a Baked Potato

Posted by Pamela Vaughan

Aug 6, 2008 5:56:29 AM

[caption id="attachment_76" align="alignleft" width="266" caption="baby lump's head/brain"]baby lump's head/brain[/caption]

On Monday I had my second ultrasound, and I'm happy to report James and I were able to stick to our guns and deny the opportunity to find out baby lump's sex.� Although I'm not sure how well James would've done on his own - he got kind of excited when the technician mistakenly said "And those are his legs ... ummm or hers!"

An easy enough slip-up, I'm sure.� It's much easier to say "his" than "the baby's" all the time.� Plus, I'm pretty sure they're not really allowed to address the baby as "it."� I bet that has some kind of controversial connotation.� You know, the whole "is a fetus really a person yet?" argument.

Anyway, I'm also happy to report that (as far as they can tell via ultrasound) Baby Lump is completely happy and healthy (okay - I added the happy part).� James and I could see all of the bones (fingers, toes, spine, ribs, etc.) as well as the eyes, kidneys, brain, stomach and beating little heart (132 beats/minute - normal!).� It was pretty amazing, to say the least.

I asked the technician how big the baby is at this point, but he said it's tough to tell since he/she is confined to the womb and can't exactly stretch out straight.� However, all the week-by-week pregnancy sites I visit tell me the baby is approximately five inches long - "about the size of the baked potato."� It's funny how many of these sites use food - often fruit - as a means of measurement.� I swear, a few weeks ago the baby was the size of a peach.

Check out the "Sonograms" page for more baby pictures!

Oven Timer: 17 weeks, 2 days
more

Topics: Weekly Updates, Milestones, Announcements, ultrasound, gender, pregnancy, sonogram, little baby lump, fetus, 17 weeks

Subscribe by Email

rss   RSS Feed

Recent Posts

Popular Posts